If you wear eyeglasses, you know how easily they can get dirty. And you’ve likely wiped them on your shirt, a tissue, or some piece of cloth nearby. Did you know this isn’t always the best way to clean them?
When cleaning your glasses, most optometrists and opticians recommend using gentle soap and warm water with a microfiber cloth. This will safely remove dust, sweat, and grease without scratching your lenses.
Why Is It Important to Clean Your Glasses?
You might wonder why it’s necessary to clean your eyeglasses regularly. Maintaining clean glasses is crucial for:
- Clear vision: At their core, eyeglasses are supposed to provide clear vision. When your lenses are covered in fingerprints, dust, or smudges, it hinders your ability to see clearly. Uncleaned glasses can lead to eye strain, discomfort, and sometimes headaches.
- Extend the life of your lenses: Your eyeglass lenses are susceptible to wear and tear, and their lifespan is directly tied to how well you care for them. Neglecting to clean your glasses properly can result in scratches. Over time, these scratches can accumulate, making your lenses less effective and requiring you to replace them sooner than you’d like.
- Support eye health: The cleanliness of your glasses also plays a role in maintaining your eye health. When your vision is affected by dirty lenses, your eyes need to work harder to focus. This added strain can worsen eye fatigue by over-exerting your eyes.
How to Properly Clean Your Glasses
Now that you know how important it is to have clean glasses, you might wonder how you clean them correctly.
You need a few things to get started:
- A clean microfiber cloth
- Gentle dish soap or glasses-specific lens cleaner
- Lukewarm running water
Then, follow these steps:
- Begin by rinsing your glasses under gentle, lukewarm, running water. Avoid using hot water, as it can damage the coating on your lens!
- Apply a small amount of soap or professional lens cleaner to both sides of each lens. Avoid using household cleaners or alcohol-based solutions, as these can harm your lenses.
- Use your fingertips to gently but thoroughly rub both sides of each lens, paying attention to the nose pads. Ensure you clean all areas, especially where fingerprints and smudges build up.
- Once you’ve thoroughly cleaned your glasses, rinse them again under running water to remove any residual soap or cleaning solution.
- Carefully dry your glasses using a clean, lint-free microfiber cloth. Avoid using paper towels, tissues, or rough fabrics, as they can scratch the lenses.
- Hold your glasses to the light and scrutinize for any streaks or smudges. If necessary, repeat the cleaning process until your glasses are clear.
Do You Need Anything Special to Clean Glasses?
Thankfully, cleaning glasses doesn’t require any specialized or expensive equipment. A microfiber cloth and the right cleaning solution or mild soap are your best friends. These items can be bought from your eye clinic, ensuring you can keep your glasses clean without hassle.
What to Avoid When Cleaning Glasses
It’s equally crucial to know what to avoid to prevent any unintentional damage to your lenses:
- Avoid using your shirt or tissues to clean your glasses, as they may contain dust or debris that can scratch the lenses.
- Steer clear of hot water. Hot water can be detrimental to the coatings on your lenses. Stick to lukewarm water for rinsing.
- Don’t use household cleaners or alcohol-based solutions. These harsh chemicals can potentially damage the coatings and materials used in your glasses, so it’s best to avoid them entirely.
When to See Your Optometrist About New Glasses
Even with impeccable care, your glasses will eventually need to be replaced. There are some signs that it’s time to schedule a visit to your optometrist:
- The lenses are noticeably scratched, and the damage affects your vision.
- Your glasses no longer provide clear vision, or your current prescription is inadequate, leading to blurred vision.
- Your frames no longer fit comfortably or have become damaged, affecting their stability.
- You frequently need adjustments, or the glasses are misshapen.
Get the Right Advice for Your Glasses & Eye Care
Eyeglasses are more than just a fashion statement; they’re essential for your vision and eye health. Proper cleaning and maintenance are crucial to ensure they serve you well. By following these steps and avoiding common pitfalls, you can enjoy clear, comfortable sight every day.
Even with proper cleaning, you’ll need to replace your glasses sooner or later. So book an appointment and visit us at Annik Eyecare in Surrey for a comprehensive eye exam, and a comprehensive selection of designer frames!